The Roots Keeping Us Grounded

Topics: , ,

• Not a day goes by that I don’t count my blessings to have certain people in my life who have led me to happiness. For many years, I have been stuck in negative beliefs about myself that have pulled me into the ground and I’ve never quite broken the surface or reached the sunlight, caught in a lifetime of darkness and shrouded in silence.

A tree that once was a tiny little seed, that had inner strength within it, knew that in order to grow big and tall it had to be dropped in soil, hidden in darkness and struggle to break through the surface.

One day there will be a terrifying storm brewing in the sky. The little sapling, so small and delicate, discovers very quickly that it will have to face and survive horrific weather conditions: tornados, rain storms, heavy snow falls, and even the deadliest, being struck by lightning. Although tiny, it has the strength to bend and not break, and endure whatever life has in store for it.

The tree will in fact get through all types of challenges. In times of stress, trees do not grow beyond their ability to support themselves, they start to shed leaves and branches in order to grow stronger.

So over the years, as this tree grew, it survived but it looked a little different from the rest. Its trunk was cracked and split, the woody branches looked injured but still it grew for many years to come. The bark that protects the tree’s trunk was mostly now removed from humans carving and picking at it, leaving scars on it that will forever remain on the trunk for all to see. But despite all this, its roots remained underground, extending three times the tree’s width, making sure it was well grounded.

The day will finally arrive where the tree reaches an age where it is able to flower, humans will come out of nowhere to water, love and hug the tree, something it needed so desperately to encourage it to grow for so long. The people’s love for this tree reminded it why it was first planted there and needed to stay. People needed this tree to breathe, as it produced pure oxygen and helped make for a more beautiful landscape. Finally, the most important reason why this tree had such a purpose… to provide shade and shelter to the humans that stood beneath it.

So many people go through life standing tall and being a tree with their roots in the ground and letting the wind just shift them back and forth, not doing anything else. I have broken through the surface of darkness that was piled on top of me and I am ready to fight any storm that hits me. I am ready to feel the sun shining on me and let the wind rustle the leaves on my branches loud enough to inspire others!

Monica Da Maren

Monica Da Maren has ben journaling as a form of enjoyment most of her life. Born in Guelph, Ontario to immigrant Italian parents, she was the last of three children raised in a tight knit family community. Having suffered abuse throughout her childhood, it wasn’t until her adult life that she turned to her writing as a form of therapy and self -awareness. Through her writing she has found healing and peace, and now is able to raise her own family, which she shares with her loving husband of 12 years. “A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” ~ Richard Bach Through her words, Monica hopes to inspire others to follow their hearts and live the life they were meant to live.

For more information, please visit Artistry of Thought.

Recent Releases

Book: Alone Together

View all posts by Monica Da Maren.

1. Chris
      Chris says:

Such an incredible analogy! Absolutely love today’s inspiration!
      Thank you, thank you, thank you for your inspiration!

2. Nicole
      Nicole says:

I never thought of a tree that way! Today I will look at each person I see as though they are all trees, weathering their own storms. Thanks for the inspiring words!

3. Sara
      Sara says:

ok…I *never* comment on these, but I have to on this one. I read this and quite enjoyed the tree metaphor. Then I read Monica’s bio and went back and re-read the blog. TRULY inspirational. I will never look a tree the same way again.

4. Sandra
      Sandra says:

Thank you for opening up our eyes to this beautiful fact and correlating it to ourselves. I’m inspired even more to reach my full potential. Grazie bella!

5. Marisa
      Marisa says:

I read your inspiration a few times as I needed to reflect and allow my mind to not only absorb the analogy but to see the personal relevance. The way you documented the journey of the tree helped me embrace the similarities and parallels of not only my struggles but to be respectful of others as well. Thank you for sharing …

6. Janice
      Janice says:

You are a beautiful person inside and out and a role model for what we can become when we break through our own darkness to reach for the sun and the stars.

7. K.S
      K.S says:

Sometimes we lose sight that even the happiest seeming people around us have inner struggles. We can pass by the same person over and over and never connect at any level to realize how our common experiences or feelings can offer a context of understanding, supporting, inspiring. I love your reflection on where you have been, where you are and where you want to go…very nice.

8. Solange
      Solange says:

I loved this article…I loved the tree analogy…this reminded me of an interview where a journalist asked ‘what type of tree we envisioned themselves as being and why’…that question along with this article is thought provoking…thanks for sharing this….

9. Nora Tsimicalis
      Nora Tsimicalis says:

Let’s try this again… Words of true inspiration have been captured thank you for sharing this. Thank you for sharing your insight and experience.

10. Jude
      Jude says:

I have seen many trees planted in my life and have planted a few hundreds myself and some still stand today. I have never looked at them in a human way before today. You have come a long way since I met you so many years ago and I am so grateful that I was a part of your nurturing and watering to help make you grow into the beautiful flower you are today.

11. melanie toscan
      melanie toscan says:

This is beautiful Monica! Brought me to tears thinking about how life though different from one person to the next, we all have a purpose…to love and to be loved.

12. Kelly
      Kelly says:

Thank you, thank you! I got all misty reading this. My mom always said “don’t sweat the small stuff”…it helps you deal with the big stuff. She was right. Awesome inspiration Monica.

13. Doug
      Doug says:

One word, Wow! This lady can really write. Her words flow like the wind, her heart is the seed that grew into something beautiful. Very humbled by the beauty in her words.

14. Carrie
      Carrie says:

I’ve only met Monica a couple times, but in the short time I have, I can honestly say WOW.

There are few people who could so eloquently put into words both the feelings AND the struggle she experienced, and have it come out in such a terrific and inspiring analogy.

Well done

15. Lisa
      Lisa says:

Monica, you continue to surprise me with your talent – you are an amazing writer! Thank you for sharing your journey of personal growth and ability to overcome adversity through this story.

16. David
      David says:

Absolutely an awe inspiring analogy. I pictured myself in your place and went on the journey with you. Thank you for sharing and helping me to see myself and others in a beautiful way.

17. Beeneta
      Beeneta says:

Very beautifully written. What a wonderful analogy. Thank you so much for sharing your words and a part of yourself with us.

18. Shauna
      Shauna says:

Incredible Monica. I had to read it a few times because so many parts were beautiful. You are an incredible inspiration!

19. Tiina
      Tiina says:

Monica, So beautiful! Baring your soul can set you free. Release yourself of the weight upon your shoulders. The analogy you have described is so eloquent and really let’s the reader envision the message you are portraying.

20. Miriam F
      Miriam F says:

Monica, I feel so blessed for knowing you! Only now I understand the peace and comfort that you share with us every day. I am so happy you put your life journey into such beautiful words…what a perfect timing with my most favourite season of all :-))
      Thanks again for sharing with the world :-))

21. Crystal
      Crystal says:

Love the tree analogy, so strong and beautiful. Thanks for your open, honest and meaningful writing, truly inspiring.

22. Jan Smith
      Jan Smith says:

This takes a lot of courage…not to write, but to share….
      I myself can relate to that little tree!
      May we grow stronger from every storm!
      Beautifully written and very inspirational!!!

23. Laura Lee
      Laura Lee says:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this wonderful piece written by Monica Da Maren. I feel a sense of strength and peace after reading this article. She inspires her readers through her words of honesty, and this is the mark of truly inspirational, positive literature.

24. Steve
      Steve says:

Your analogy is truly a different way to see life, but in a way that makes sense. Never knew you had this hidden talent. Great job.

25. Melissa
      Melissa says:

Very inspiring Monica and so well written! Life is so full of hardships, but it’s those hardships that make us the people we are today. Life can be rough, but look at the person you are today, not necessarily because of it, but rather inspite of it.

26. Catherine
      Catherine says:

So true Monica! I’ve never looked at it that way. What a beautiful and touching story you have shared. I can totally relate to this when I think about all I’ve been through in the past several years. Not only have I felt “stuck in the ground just being blown by the wind back and forth”, I find myself still struggling to fight this storm. The storm that doesn’t seem to pass. I look forward to seeing the sunshine and feeling the warmth. Your story has really made me think this evening…. And I am truly inspired ❤️

27. Tricia
      Tricia says:

Monica, absolutely stunning piece of writing! So proud of you for breaking the silence….. You will have inspired many women and touched many women’s lives by this analogy!

Your love, beauty and kind heart continue to shine and blossom throughout your life! People forget “it’s what we don’t see”.

Thank you for sharing your story!!

28. Shawn
      Shawn says:

A pretty interesting view of life and growth. Especially the importance of our roots….the people we connect with, our values, etc. I love the reference to scars and flaws. It’s what makes us beautiful, unique, yet similar. Great read 🙂

29. Kathryn
      Kathryn says:

Beautifully written, we all have storms to weather, but to be reminded that we can bend through them, and to remember that our real purpose is not those storms, but something beautiful. Thank you Monica

30. Lilly
      Lilly says:

Beautifully written. It made me think of the supports I have in my life that help me get through the storms in life, make me stronger and have shaped the person I have become today.

31. Jackie
      Jackie says:

Absolutely beautifully written and incredibly inspiring! A job well done Monica! I have shared this with my FB friends in hopes of spreading the message.

32. Josette LeBlanc
      Josette LeBlanc says:

This is simply beautiful Monica. “In every adversity lies the seed of an equal or greater opportunity.” You have a grace with words, an ability to inspire and thank you very much for sharing. I look forward to reading much more from you.

33. Natalie
      Natalie says:

Monica, this is beautiful and each time I read it, I well up with tears. I am so grateful that I can call you a friend. We were brought together for a reason, and I am all the better for it. Bella, here’s to be strong the rest of our days.

34. Ian
      Ian says:

Nice. Keep rooted in what will feed you and build you up. It will let you bend enough not to break but still stand your ground.

Links to This Post