Embracing the Mystery

Topics:

• The mystery of life is not random or capricious, and our understanding can grow and grow. Nonetheless, it is an unending mystery, and there is always more to know.

Even enlightened beings are still learning, still following their path. No doubt they follow a very elevated path, but a path it still is.

What does this mean, in terms of our daily life?

It means ALLOW the mystery.

Yes, keep on knowing, planning and doing, yet also remember that there is meaning in the cracks in between all the knowing, planning and doing.

It means get comfortable with not-knowing, with those moments where not everything goes according to plan. There may be an even bigger plan at work, a design you are not yet privy to.

Sometimes it takes years to discover the true design. My life has been like that, a series of ‘aha moments’ after the fact. “Ahh, I get it now! I thought I was on the way to point A, but I really was headed to point Z. And point Z feels so right, yet I never would have known to aim for it, for only by heading for point A did I find my way here, to point Z.”

It means self-love. Once we accept that we don’t know – we can’t know – everything, and we can’t be fully in control, we begin to accept our truth and our vulnerability.

And the light between the cracks begins to shine into our lives.

Things that once made us uncomfortable, that we tried mightily to reject, suppress, and deny – all those things now become OK. We have things we wish we did differently, things we wish were different – all this is now OK. It is part of our humanity, and it is beautiful.

We are in transition, on a journey, always, and this leg of the journey isn’t done until it is over. This means we are always a tiny bit lost; we never know exactly what the next step will bring. Yet we can learn to dance in the shimmering light in between our steps, and love the adventure between the ‘sign-posts.’

As clear as our vision may be, we operate on faith, always.

This brings us full circle, back to the mystery, to the life in between the cracks of all our doing, planning, and knowing. The mystery pulsates with meaning and light. It is knowable, but there is always more to know.

The more we welcome the mystery into our lives, the more we partner with it, the easier it becomes to find the balance between doing, planning and knowing, and being more fully in the present moment, at home with our not-knowing.

We become students, not masters, alert to what we do not yet fully comprehend. And the openness of the student is what is truly masterful.

We do not know exactly what the future will bring. Yet, if we hold hands with the unknowable, we will never be alone, even as we step into the unknown.

Reba Linker

I am a guide, a coach and a teacher, and I am ready to lead the way to a happier, more fulfilled way of life. As I wrote my first book, Follow the Yarn, what started as a knitting book and memoir became a journey of self-discovery. And, as the book transformed, I, too, experienced a parallel transformation from dance studio owner to Life Coach and Author. I had finally discovered my true purpose, and all the experiences of my life suddenly made sense in a new light. I was blessed to study with a spiritual teacher for over 30 years. The years of learning have become deeply my own, as I bridge the divide between intellectual knowing and true inner wisdom. In my own journey, my biggest obstacles turned out to be my greatest assets; life has taught me a kind of magical alchemy: to spin the straw of challenging experiences into the purest spiritual gold. Life is what we make of the materials we are given. We are each given the means to create something beautiful and valuable for ourselves and for those around us. I am passionate about sharing my message through books, coaching and courses.

For more information, please visit RebaLinker.com.

View all posts by Reba Linker.

Reba Linker says:

Yes, dear Linda! The mystery and discovery is the wonder of it – and you are so talented at bringing the unknown into your work through art and play! xox, Reba

Reba Linker says:

So true, Bonnie, you are sooo in the flow! I never thought that I was going here, but now that I’ve arrived I see it is the best place I could possibly be – loving the journey! xox, Reba

Reba Linker says:

Yes, Suzie, I see and feel that this is happening more and more for so many of us. The trick is learning to welcome the unknown. It seems to be a different kind of training for many of us! xox, Reba

Reba Linker says:

Dear Linda, Yes, that is THE discovery, I think – the process, not the destination. It is a delicate balance, and one you know well, I believe. Thanks so much for the comment! xox, Reba

1. heraldmarty
      heraldmarty says:

Wonderful article Reba! There is so much to be said for finding the courage to embrace uncertainty. It opens so many doors and helps to foster a sense of curiosity rather than fear, and in the process allows us to experience greater inner peace.

Reba Linker says:

Yes, I think if we embrace this idea it creates a whole new approach to life, and yes, it takes courage, great courage. Thanks so much for your comment! xox, Reba

2. gloria Waldman
      gloria Waldman says:

loved remembering this today and I shared it with my facebook friends. I will live in the not knowing today and embrace it, thanks to you!

Reba Linker says:

Dear Glo, Thanks so much for the shares. I am so glad this resonated with you today. That makes me incredibly happy. So grateful to you, xox, Reba

Reba Linker says:

Yes, Regina, you see right into the core message of self-love and self-compassion. Thanks so much for the comment! xox, Reba

3. Debbie Goldstein
      Debbie Goldstein says:

Reba,
      As always I am moved by your observations about life.

Thank you for this inspirational piece…
      It really meant a lot to me. I have been learning my way through the beginning of not working (don’t like the term retirement!). Lately, with the help of your insight, I now can look back on the last year and see how the first 6 months, as difficult as they were, were
      leading me to an authentic place.

Debbie Goldstein

Reba Linker says:

Dear Debbie, I so LOVE your comment. I feel so grateful that my post cast a glow on your experience. You are doing amazingly wonderfully well at creating a new life by allowing what is needed for something new to take shape. xox, Reba

4. Rachel Kriheli
      Rachel Kriheli says:

Beautiful thought, beautifully expressed. Thank you Reba! The light comes in when we let go and allow the process to run its course.

5. Bob Crawford
      Bob Crawford says:

Love it. Life is a mystery, full of wonder and unknown! Blessings abound, abundance flows, our lives get richer everyday.

Reba Linker says:

Amen, amen to that Bob! I am so grateful for your positive affirmation of what I said in my post. “Blessings abound, abundance flows, our lives get richer everyday.” xox, Reba

6. Ayesha Hilton
      Ayesha Hilton says:

Reba, very insightful. I’ve found life to be a journey of unexpected twists and turns that I could not predicted but have been amazing. I trust the universe as I take leaps of faith into the unknown. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. ♡

Reba Linker says:

Thanks, Ayesha! In the immortal words of John Lennon, “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans,” isn’t it? Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! xox, Reba

7. Judy
      Judy says:

Dear Reba,

This speaks to me in so many ways. Having lost my husband 5 months ago, as well as my roll as care-taker, I have felt lost on several different levels. The hardest part is when people ask me, “So what are you going to do next?” Another expectation. Yes, people will say, “Don’t do anything major for at least a year” and in the next breath want to know what my next steps are. This article supports me in taking action and being still all at the same time. Love it! Judy

Reba Linker says:

Bless you, Judy, for sharing so openly and honestly. What you are going through is full of unknowns and challenges, and you are surfing that crazy wave as beautifully as you do everything else in life! So glad the article can support you in doing whatever it is you need at the moment. xox, Reba

Reba Linker says:

Dear Jerri, You and me both! Sometimes the wisdom just flows out of me, and this was one of those moments. Still, I’m so very much on the path of trying to release limiting beliefs and finding more balance in my life as well. I hope we can continue to support each other in our journeys! xox, Reba

8. Dan Teck
      Dan Teck says:

Reba, what a powerful point — and beautifully worded! I love your central message to “allow the mystery” — having faith that it is all happening according to some plan…even if you don’t currently see, know, or understand that plan! I’ll remember these words the next time I scratch my head in wonder! 🙂

Reba Linker says:

Dear Dan, Thank you so much for this wonderful comment! Yes, I believe there is meaning, and perhaps even a ‘plan’ as you say, but there is also free choice, and what we can do is choose how we relate to our lives, and how we relate to the mystery, whether we choose to smile or frown upon it. But you know all this, I am sure. I am so touched that you visited and commented. So grateful, xox, Reba

9. Reba Linker
      Reba Linker says:

Dear Lynn, That really says it all, doesn’t it? “Allow and enjoy each and every step of the journey.” That is a life practice, put into one beautiful sentence. Thank you so much, Lynn! xox, Reba

10. Keyra
      Keyra says:

Some days it’s easier to allow the mystery than others, but it’s certainly clear that the days I am able to do so are the days with less anxiety. ^^

Reba Linker says:

So true, Keyra. We try so hard to do something that we cannot possibly do – control everything! – so naturally that affects how we feel. You bring out such a great point, Keyra, thank you so much! xox, Reba

11. Susan Mary Malone
      Susan Mary Malone says:

Ah! I so love this, Reba. The mystery, the unknown, that’s where our true lives can be lived. We so want to know what’s in front of us, no? But you hit the path with : “we operate on faith, always. This brings us full circle, back to the mystery, to the life in between the cracks of all our doing, planning, and knowing.”
      In the numinosity of the mystery, we find our real selves.
      Thank you!

12. Reba Linker
      Reba Linker says:

Dear Susan, Thank you. I am so glad this post speaks to you so strongly. It is something I both know and am learning: every person who responds to this is another reminder to me to keep letting go and allow the universe to run the show more and more. Blessings, Reba

Reba Linker says:

Thank you, Vironika! Yes, it is always so simple, isn’t it? And yet like a mantra, we sometimes need to hear it over and over again! Grateful to you for stopping by! xox, Reba

13. Lisa Baker-King
      Lisa Baker-King says:

Reba….I so get what you are saying. The ‘mystery’ of not knowing and embracing it, trusting it, getting comfortable with it and ultimately it becomes fuel for so many amazing discoveries!

14. Reba Linker
      Reba Linker says:

I am so honored that InspireMe Today has elected to republish my post, Embracing the Mystery. When it was originally published earlier this year it sparked some wonderful discussion – I hope it still has an important message to offer. What are your thoughts on the topic? Does it resonate for where you are in your life today? I would love for you to join the discussion and I will be responding to personally to your comments on the post.

15. Angel
      Angel says:

Reba this is beautiful! It brings up a very fond and funny memory for me from just a couple of years ago. While at a festival promoting a spiritual center I hung a sign that said “Madame Know-It-All: Ask me 1 question and if I’m wrong you pay a $1”. Of course, I was always wrong ? but the answers were always quirky. It was so much fun and kids loved it!

16. Colleen
      Colleen says:

Yes, Reba! Life is full of surprises. Looking back we can see how much richer our experiences were than we thought at the time. Also sometimes we can truly appreciate that things did not go as planned! Much wisdom here- this is a classic! Thank you!

17. laurie303
      laurie303 says:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, Reba. Every word carries love, mystery and illumination. The journey is ever-present…

18. kelleygrimes
      kelleygrimes says:

I love this inspirational post Reba! Embracing the mystery, being comfortable being uncomfortable and loving yourself through the process are beautiful self-nurturing recommendations and I love the wisdom that being the student is truly masterful! Thank you!

19. Pamela Thompson
      Pamela Thompson says:

Reba, Thank you for this thoughtful and insightful post. I so relate to your statement that “we are on a journey always” and that it’s okay to not know everything about what we’re doing and where we’re going. I, too, have found that when I reflect on my life so far, I was given “bread crumbs” along the way which have lead me to my larger life purpose which I’m passionate about. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

20. debraoakland
      debraoakland says:

Life is an E-Ticket Ride. Reba, I love when you say “We become students, not masters, alert to what we do not yet fully comprehend.” We are ever the student if we are to truly expand our self-awareness and that of the world around us. The mystery of life is a mastery of it’s own. Enjoy the ride!

Links to This Post