There are many jokes on the rise right now about pumpkins being everywhere and in everything. But there is much truth to be found underneath the humor. And a pumpkin stampede is just one of the many (awesome) indicators that the season is changing!
For me, autumn brings with it a tranquility unlike any other season. It also inspires a sense of creativity, self-reflection and nostalgia. This time of year is my absolute favorite… and there are so many ways to enjoy the transition!
Here are 7 ways to have some feel-good-fun to appreciate Autumn rising:
- Enjoy a hot beverage in a fancy mug. I don’t care what anyone says; the mug makes a difference! Finding and using a mug that speaks to you changes (and makes) the entire experience of drinking coffee, tea or cocoa (or pumpkin latte!). Mugs are art, after all. Loving your mug will enhance the pleasure of sipping your favorite bev. And nothing speaks “winter is coming,” like a hot cup o’ joe! Relaxing with your mug can – and will – bring you a sense of quiet peace and wonderment, if you are open to it.
- Leave the window open a crack and snuggle under the blankie. Young or old, snuggling in a super-soft blanket will always remain on the top of the charts as a fan fav. Whether solo or with a partner (or with all the kids – human and furry), being wrapped up while fresh, chilly air rejuvenates the room is a great way to celebrate the change in weather…and feel warm and fuzzy! This is a tip to feeling youthful, also. It’s totally worth the cold nose.
- Burn a scented-candle or incense. Ah, here is an example where Pumpkin fits just perfectly. A fall-inspired scented candle – or incense – can really set the mood. There is something about a warm fragrance or incense that speaks directly to our soul. It can really make a room feel inviting, warm and full of love – or inspiration, peace, etc. depending on the chosen scent.
- Put on a hoodie. I don’t know about you, but there is a little bit of excitement that creeps up when I think about putting on my favorite hoodie for the first time (some of you may take the plunge before the weather even drops). Another snuggler, a hoodie just screams, “Warm and cozy!” Tuck those hands in, or stick them into the pockets. Put the hood on, and get out there… star-gaze at night, or just keep the heat low in the house so you can appreciate the cuddly effect your special hoodie has just for you.
- Visit a city that boasts beautiful foliage. Nothing compares to the rich, vivid colors that encapsulate the beauty of fall foliage. The trees, the mums, the vegetables and fruits that grow. Deep purples, reds and browns. Yellow, green and orange. Nothing says peace like a tree-lined, placid lake. Get out of the house (here’s a reason to put that hoodie on), and enjoy the miraculous colors and sights of Autumn.
- Enjoy a nature walk. Yet another reason to grab that hoodie! Get out into the heart of it all; take a nature walk on a trail. Your neighborhood works just as well, if you prefer the comfort of a familiar place. Walking with nature brings you back to your roots, your interconnectedness with all living things. This is a great time to meditate, or to pop in those earbuds to walk in rhythm with the beat of your new favorite tune. Your nature walk will make you feel more grounded, get your body moving, blood pumping and encourage you to remain more present with yourself – and your day.
- Go picking! Apple picking, pumpkin picking… corn mazes, hay rides. The limits to the adventures you can go on in Autumn are endless! Grab your friends, family or loved ones and take advantage of the season’s finest fairs, events and experiences. You’ll make some memories you can cherish for a lifetime.
These 7 feel-good-fun activities are just the beginning! There are so many ways to live an inspired, spirited life this Autumn. Art, food and music are rich in flavor this time of year. And just as love-worthy is staying in, reading a good book – or writing your own (or journaling)! The changing season brings with it a newness and liveliness that anyone – and everyone – can appreciate. A chance to begin, again, with zest and childlike wonder.
This article was originally published by Camille on examiner.com.