Growing a small business can seem really scary sometimes. Yet I find that the fear is also part of the exhilaration! Personal satisfaction is created when you stand up to what scares you and do it anyway! When your WHY is big enough, nothing – absolutely NOTHING – can stop you from attaining your goal.
So often it’s the easy, simple, seemingly meaningless solutions that offer the greatest impact! You face a huge problem and mistakenly imagine that only a huge solution can solve it. Not so. Simple things done consistently are what truly matter.
To share an example, let me show you how easy this is for a small business and for life in general:
- For retail operations, just asking the simple question: “What brought you into the store today?” has been proven to quadruple sales results! What questions are you asking, not only in your business but in your life?
- Approximately 75% of the neurons in your brain that are used for senses are dedicated to sight. So the best way to solve a problem is to create a clear picture – actually illustrate the problem. Do you keep pad and pen handy? Are you visualizing where you’re going? Can you “;see”; it now as a problem solved or an goal reached?
- Salespeople who smile while they’re talking on the phone close more business. How often do you smile while you’re speaking?
- Studies show that people rarely succeed at anything unless they’re having fun doing it. What do you do to turn your work into a game? Are you following your passion?
- We have all experienced the Pygmalion effect – you take on positive traits assigned to you by someone else. What skills have you admired and commented on in others today? Recognize and compliment that which you want to become!
- Scientists have discovered that 55% of what you communicate is done through your body posture, facial expressions, eye contact, and movements. Another 38% comes from your vocal pitch, speed, volume, and tone of voice. Only 7% of meaning comes from your words. Are you holding your head high, smiling in someone’s eyes, and musically sharing your joy in their presence when you say “Hello!”?
Most people are really scared about how our economy has shifted – they just aren’t sure how to take advantage of it yet. I teach small businesses how we’ve moved from a primarily Competition Economy into a Collaboration Economy – and the currency is Contribution!
Whether it’s business or your personal life, you have more to contribute than you can imagine. How often do you share what’s working? What resource or book you love that you just discovered? What you appreciate the most in another person? What you’ve found to be most effective in a specific situation?
Your insights and experience are unique, special and invaluable. You don’t realize how much you know and how one simple turn of phrase can open an entire world for someone else.
When you focus on your deep personal desire to support another person’s success, you are UNSTOPPABLE!! They feel your passion, commitment and heart-felt desire to serve – they can’t help but be moved!
Every time you find yourself stuck, consider where your focus lies. Ahhh. Have you allowed fear to focus your attention on your needs instead of theirs again? No wonder it isn’t working! A WHY that is truly compelling, engaging and everlasting always benefits others first.
I remind myself of these facts and techniques as I work each day to help small businesses succeed. The success of small businesses is something I’m deeply passionate about – and it’s pushing me past every conceivable obstacle. For when you follow your dream and realize the importance of your WHY, nothing will stand in your way.