When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. But what do you do when a friend shows up at your home with hundreds of apples? That’s easy….You make apple juice!
Last Friday evening my friends Tom and Sherry stopped by our home for a visit. For the last few weeks they’ve heard me tweeting, blogging and raving about my new Vitamix machine- and they had an idea. They live in Montana next to some wild open space that happens to be the home of a very abundant apple tree. Sherry and Tom showed up at my home with several hundred small greenish yellow apples, each about 2″ in diameter, providing the perfect opportunity to put the Vitamix to the test.
John Barnard, one of our Inspirational Luminaries and the grandson of the founder of Vitamix, taught me that the best way to eat an apple is to eat ALL of it- in a Vitamix. That includes the peel, the stem and the core, including all of the seeds, as lots of fiber, vitamins and minerals are found in the parts of the apple that most people put down the garbage disposal.
Hearing John’s voice in my head, Sherry, Tom and I decided to blend the apples in the Vitamix machine. We started with a little water in the bottom of the machine then tossed in nearly 20 apples, one at a time, while blending. The apples quickly turned from golden green globes to a pale yellow juice, bursting with flavor and with life. We spent the next two hours blending, pouring the juice in containers and freezing more than 50 quarts of fresh pureed apple juice!
I had no idea what I was getting into when I offered to blend the apples, but now I have delicious apples for smoothies all winter long. Tom and Sherry have already used some of their juice for pancakes, cookies and oatmeal. I use mine each day in my green smoothie. Just starting my day with something so healthy gives me such energy!
If you can’t tell, I’m in love with my Vitamix machine! So much so, that I want to give one to you to experience too. Here’s the deal. If you already have a machine, I’m sure you have a Vitamix story. We’re gathering them for a book to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of Vitamix, and invite you to please share your story with us now.
If you don’t have a Vitamix and you’d like to WIN a FREE VITAMIX please enter our contest!
This contest is over, thank you!
– Just complete the sentence…. “I want to win a free Vitamix because…..” (in 100 words or less).
– Email your completed sentence to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us in 100 words or less, why you’d be the perfect person for us to gift a free Vitamix 5200 machine, valued at $449.
– Perhaps it will be health related, or maybe it will allow you to follow your dream to be a gourmet chef.
– Whatever the reason, be creative and remember, stories that inspire us and give us goosebumps get extra points. 🙂
– We’ll only read the first 100 words so please, make your words count and keep it under 100 total.
– All entries must be received by midnight on September 10th, 2010.
– The winning entry will be posted on InspireMeToday.com on September 13th, 2010.
This contest is over, thank you!
That’s it- simple, easy and fun! If you need some ideas on what’s possible with a Vitamix, please go read some of the comments or watch a video or two on the Vitamix website. It’s full of information that can help you become healthier and more creative.
We look forward to reading your entries and awarding a Vitamix to one lucky person very soon. Someone has to win- and it could be you… so submit your entry now! Thank you for your participation!
Update: This contest ended on September 10th, 2010.