If I could share 500 words to inspire, this is the important wisdom I'd want to pass along to others...
As I’ve gone through my journey in life, I’ve learned a few lessons along the way that I hope to share with you. So here goes. Some life wisdom I’ve picked up along the way from being to stuck, to having gotten off the fence:
- Your name will stick with you for life. Make sure that name is good – and synonymous with integrity, kindness and truth.
- You must be a person of your word. This comes back to integrity. Your word must be honorable.
- You must know what you need, and give it to yourself whenever possible. That means eat when you’re hungry, sleep when you’re tired, regardless of what any clock tells you the time is. When you listen to your body, good things happen to it.
- If I do the same thing, day in and day out, I become a zombie walker of this earth, and not a liver of this earth. Passion and happiness comes from trying new things, venturing scarily into the unknown, and pushing yourself to your own personal limits. Walt Disney said it best: “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.” Try the impossible. Just try it once.
- God doesn’t give us what we want, he gives us what we need. Every time. And although it may not seem like it in the moment, and we may be frustrated or angry, in the end, it’s always what we need to grow. And I’ve also learned we shouldn’t cry over spilled milk. Learn the lesson and then move on, but don’t stay stuck in the past. It’s a sure way to live the most unfulfilled and immobilized existence.“So, ask every failure—and this is what I do with every failure, every crisis, every difficult time—I say, what is this here to teach me? And as soon as you get the lesson, you get to move on. If you really get the lesson, you pass and you don’t have to repeat the class. If you don’t get the lesson, it shows up wearing another pair of pants—or skirt—to give you some remedial work.” ~Oprah.
- I learned the true meaning of life the day I walked into Canyon Ranch on a retreat with Dove. The sign hanging in the front said: “BREATHE DEEPLY and appreciate the moment. Living in the moment could be the meaning of life.” I’ve come to accept that as truth. All you have is this moment. BE IN IT FULLY.”When you are driving, be present, and focus on your driving. When you are having dinner with your family, be there. Don’t be on your business, or on tomorrow’s agenda. Be at the dinner table, with your family. Because otherwise, it’s as if you were not there. It’s as if the experience never happened.” – Wise words someone once told me.
- Don’t take no for an answer. I have never taken no for an answer if I believe in something, and it has served me well. Very well. Fight for what you want. And don’t you be lazy!! Never be afraid to DREAM BIG, and put it out into the Universe. If you work hard enough, the Universe will listen.
- Always know your financial situation at any given time. Know what you have. Know what you need. Knowledge is power.
- Success comes at a cost – there is no free lunch. I will leave it at that.
- Self-esteem and confidence are not bad words. They’re important words. It takes a lot of work to get there, but it’s the foundation to thriving.
- Don’t spend next week’s paycheck.
- Always face the music, no matter how dark it may sound.
- The line is thin between pushing your child to the limit in order to not raise a quitter, and pulling back to not turn them off from life. I struggle daily.
- Change, while scary, is necessary to grow. We must adapt to change, and swim with the flow of the current, not against it. I’ve learned it’s important to venture outside of your own backyard.
- Every one of us was put on this earth for a purpose. Find that purpose. Whether you’re a trust fund baby or a homeless man living on the streets, we all have a purpose.
- Love the haters. We all have naysayers, or doubters, or haters. Their words can hurt us, haunt us, and tickle our insecurities. The important thing in life, is to take from it, learn from it, but NOT let it stop you. Haters and doubters often make us want to quit or even question our entire life plan. I can only say from experience, just work hard, and prove them wrong. Success comes from doing what you love, and working at it daily. Listen to the critics, because there’s much to be learned, but follow your heart. And trust your instincts.
- Always give 100%. Give 110, 120 whenever possible.
- We all have to be accountable for our own actions. It’s easiest to blame others and not take personal responsibility for our own actions. But at the end of the day, it’s the only way to live free.
- Trying to keep up with the Joneses is a recipe for misery. Stop paying so much attention to what others have, and focus on your own path. Look at you, you beautiful thing! You’ve got the world by the balls! Now, go make your own life happen. 😉
- I’ve learned I still have SO MUCH more to learn.
What have you learned in your journey?